It takes place in Panem which was once North America. Instead of states, the country is broken up into 12 districts and the Capital (the government). Decades ago, the districts attempted a revolution but failed and an entire district was reduced to rubble. To remind the districts that they are under the thumb of the Capital, every year an event called The Hunger Games is held. A male and female child between ages 12 and 18 is chosen from each district. The games are televised and celebrated like the Olympics are today but all citizens are required to watch as these children are put into an arena to fight to the death until only one is left standing.
My favorite part of this series is I honestly never knew what was going to happen next. Every single chapter was a cliffhanger that made me want to go on to the next chapter, then the next, and the next. Once in the second book I actually did stop at the end of the chapter only because I had to set it aside and really soak in what had just happened. That never happens.
The ending I felt could have been fleshed out a bit more. I got the basics of what I needed to know to tie the story up but I also think there were some things left dangling a bit and I really wanted to know more. However, I like that the ending was bittersweet. It makes it feel authentic and not the fairy-tale ending I usually expect.
Lastly, I just want to say I loved the symbolism in the book covers designs. The mockingjay’s transformation from a metal pin to a full-fledged bird was A+ in my mind.